The Ventura Council of Governments (VCOG)
A voluntary joint powers authority representing the 10 cities of Ventura County as well as the County. VCOG’s goal is to facilitate cooperative subregional and regional planning, coordination and technical assistance on issues of mutual concern.
VCOG is based on the premise that Ventura County can have more representation without more government and that issues of common concern often extend beyond the purview of local jurisdictions and agencies, requiring insight and input from a wide range of affected interests.
VCOG works efficiently by utilizing existing resources to the greatest extent possible, collaboratively finding new ways to perform needed activities for less, while eliminating duplication of effort.
VCOG Mission Statement
Work to make Ventura County a unique national model of orderly development and smart growth to promote economic opportunity and environmental sustainability by:
- Promoting cooperation between the municipalities of Ventura County in the discussion of area-wide issues of mutual interest as well as advancing city-county cooperation
- Unifying Ventura County cities and the county to speak with a collective voice on important regional issues
- Seeking solutions to issues of common concern through joint studies and cost-effective, multi-jurisdictional programs
- Supporting members’ proposals that further the objectives of the Ventura Council of Governments
- Providing a forum for communication and representation on behalf of the Ventura County cities and the county with other governing bodies and organizations in the county, as well as facilitate the exchange of ideas and information
- Increasing visibility and awareness of Ventura County as an outstanding place to live, work and play
Welcome! Congratulations to Ventura County celebrating its 150th Anniversary this year! We look forward to celebrating this County’s beauty and rich history.
The Ventura Council of Government (VGOG) is a joint powers authority comprised of all Ventura County cities and the county of Ventura, with a shared goal of maintaining and improving the quality of life for all Ventura County residents. VCOG members are the cities of Camarillo, Fillmore, Moorpark, Ojai, Oxnard, Part Hueneme, San Buenaventura, Santa Paula, Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, and the County of Ventura.
As individual jurisdictions we value what makes us unique and independent; however, there are times when our collective endeavors produce better outcomes. Our combined vision for regional progress drives our members to collaborate on issues of common concern. We work together to enhance opportunities and benefits. Our vision is fulfilled through advocacy, education and recommendations for best practices on matters affecting the entire Ventura County region.
Thank you for visiting our website. Please feel free to review our agenda and join us at the bimonthly meetings of the VCOG Board. We welcome your insights, suggestions, and involvement.
Elaine Litster, Chair
City of Simi Valley